Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday Night in Luxor


The stars are out in Luxor on Saturday night and I had a most relaxing day. I never left the grounds of the Winter Palace. The main building is an elegant 19th Century Colonial Hotel with a beautiful lobby. Between the main building and the “Pavillion”  where I am staying is a delightful  large garden. It covers an area equivalent to
Fifth Avenue
to Park Avenue; 78th to about 83rd ; in other words, big. It has many different kinds of trees but is dominated by about 50  very tall and slender palm trees. I am on the fifth floor and many of the trees reach beyond my level. There is a very large swimming pool and an aviary with beautiful, exotic birds. I spent most of the day on the terrace of my room and I finally am rested!

Tomorrow, Karnak, which should be one of the highlights of the whole trip. If there is time I will re-visit Luxor Temple, which is right next to the hotel and the Luxor Museum which, I hear, has a concentrated collection of local masterpieces. Then off to Luxor Airport for my flight to Cairo; a five hour layover in Cairo before my flight to Amsterdam; and a five hour layover in Schiphol  before my flight to JFK. All in all, it is good that I am rested.

Thanks for reading. Look for one more post about Karnak and perhaps the Musuem and then one more  for additional comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment